Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Balancing Act and Davida's 6mo PT review

I haven't posted in a while because I've been feeling a little overwhelmed.  It seems that with each new step Davida makes there are ten more things that we need to focus on.  With each bit of good news there is bad news.  I feel that we have learned a lot about Cerebral Palsy and what caused Davida to have CP, but we still have so much more to learn.  Trying to balance working with/caring for Davida and also making sure that Madelyn and Morgan don't feel neglected is difficult.  I feel guilty when I'm playing with M&M because that's time that I could be working with Davida, but then I also feel guilty focusing on Davida and not giving M&M the attention they deserve.  Definitely a balancing act! Also, I have been trying to decide whether or not to go back to work.  I would feel much more sane working and often miss the interaction with adults and the mental stimulation.  The financial situation would be much less stressful.  With that said, I don't want to look back with regret and wish that I had worked more with Davida.  Everyone keeps saying how important early intervention is...especially from birth to age 3.  I know that working a 40+ hour work week would not allow enough time for me to work with Davida, go to all therapy appointments and doctor's appointments, make soccer games and other events for M&M, and generally keep the house running.  Daycare is another story....I feel like Davida would require one on one care.  How do you even begin to find someone that will work with your child both physically and emotionally and care as much as I do about her development? Decisions, decisions :-)

Now on to some good news!  When we first met with the physical therapist, Jodi, from EC Cares, she helped Marcus and me set some goals for Davida to work on over the next 6 months.  The goals were grouped into 7 categories: Cognitive, Adaptive, Social or Emotional, Gross Motor, Fine Motor, Receptive Communication, and Expressive Communication. 

Cognitive Goals
-Davida will locate object or person that is hidden while watching.
-Davida will correctly activate 4 different simple cause and effect toys.

Adaptive Goals
-Davida will take in solid foods and liquids using tongue and lips with minimal spilling.

Social or Emotional Goals
-Davida will initiate and maintain 2 or more communication exchanges with familiar adult.

Gross Motor Goals
-Davida sits with intermittent hand support for 10 minutes.
-Davida will demonstrate supported standing at furniture for 1-2 minutes.

Fine Motor Goals
-Davida will release objects into containers.

Receptive Communication Goals
-Davida will turn and look towards person speaking.

Expressive Communication Goals
-Davida will use 10 word approximations, signs, gestures or pictures to communicate basic wants and needs.

A couple weeks ago, we met with Jodi for Davida's 6 month review. This review could not have come at a better time! It's hard to judge, when working with Davida daily, how far she has progressed.  Davida has met the majority of her goals!  I'm so proud of her...she continues to amaze me with her happy disposition and willingness to participate in therapy, exercises, stretches, etc.


My beautiful girl enjoying the sunshine
 
Morgan is constantly asking to hold Davida :-)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Melissa. She is such a beautiful girl! Sure love her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work! She is such a joy!

    ReplyDelete