Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Day with Davida

I wanted to record how my average weekday is spent with Davida on a day with no therapy, other doctors' appointments and no extracurricular activities for the girls (which is rare).  Since her physical therapy appointments have been cancelled until insurance approves them (OT is approved...which is odd), I decided to create a schedule to make sure I'm focusing on all phases of PT that we work on during the appointments.  Also it has helped greatly in making sure my time is used efficiently!

6:30-7:00    Get Maddie and Morgan up and dressed.  Usually Davida wakes up during this period and if not, then I wake her up at 7.
7:00-7:45    Get M&M fed, make snacks, pack backpacks, change Davida's diaper and give her 1st bottle of the day.
7:45-8:05    Drive M&M to school
8:05-8:40    Massage Davida's scar with vitamin E oil to loosen scar tissue, stretch Davida's right wrist and fingers to loosen tendons that are constricting from the trauma to her arm before birth, stretch her legs and left arm to reduce spasticity and to help create less rigid muscle tone.
8:40-8:45    I try to squeeze in a meal and/or coffee, feed dogs and let them outside
8:45-9:00    Work with Davida in her walker
9:00-9:30    Give Davida a break and let her sit in her highchair and play with toys while I get dishes done in-between picking up toys every 2 minutes as she knocks them off her tray
9:30-10:00  Work with Davida on moving from sitting to standing and let her stand for as long as she can on her own
10:00-10:20 Feed Davida her yogurt (sometimes takes more than 20 minutes depending on how her swallowing is going that day) and change her diaper
10:20-10:50 Work with Davida on sitting and catching herself with arms
10:50-11:00 Give Davida another short break and let her swing.  I have installed a hook in the ceiling for a swing since the weather in Oregon isn't always that great for walks to the park.  Also, we may use this time to run any errands (grocery shopping, etc)
Davida in her swing
11:00-11:10 Work with Davida in her walker if she is up for it (sometimes only lasts a couple of minutes)
11:10-11:40 Again I run through Davida's stretches and massage her scar
11:40-12:10 Give Davida a small bottle, change her diaper and read her a story
12:10-2:30ish Davida's nap time...time for me to get anything done around the house I need to do:laundry, cleaning, lawn care, etc. and maybe squeeze in a quick workout
2:30-3:00    Pick up M&M from school so the real chaos can begin :-)
3:00-3:30    Change Davida's diaper and feed her a bottle
3:30-3:45    Get the girls a snack while Davida plays with her toys in her highchair
3:45-4:00     Stretch Davida and massage her scar
4:00-4:45     Help M&M with their homework while working with Davida on rolling and moving into the sitting position
4:45-4:50     Walker time for Davida...have to keep Morgan away because she always wants to push her ;-)
4:50-5:10    Make dinner while M&M entertain Davida
5:10-5:15    Sit girls down to eat, then change Davida's diaper
5:15-5:30    I usually try to eat something while attempting some thicker solids with Davida to work on chewing (crackers or some type of toddler snack)
5:30-6:00   Feed Davida solid food
6:00-6:15   Clean up the kitchen from dinner  
6:15-6:45   Usually I try to squeeze in some activity with the girls even if it is just talking about their day.  Davida is usually on my lap or the couch...she loves watching the girls play or talk and most of the time she tries to get involved in the conversation :-)
6:45-7:15   Bath time...Morgan LOVES taking baths with Davida and I'm pretty sure Davida loves bath time with Morg also
Morg and D during bath time
7:15-7:35  Massage all of Davida including her arm and stretch again
Davida loves her massages!
7:35-7:55  Give Davida a bottle
7:55-8:00  Read Davida a bedtime story
8:00  Davida's bedtime
8:00-8:30  Get M&M a snack and usually let them watch a TV show which I sometimes watch with them depending on the shape of the house
8:30-9:00  M&M brush teeth and I read them a story
9:00   M&M's bedtime (unfortunately this doesn't always happen!)
9:00-11:00  My quiet time :-)
11:00ish Bed! 

Marcus does have Davida on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 5-8pm. Currently the girls have soccer during most of this time, so we spend the time at practice and then eating dinner.  It is nice to have a bit of alone time with the girls when I can just focus on them. 






No comments:

Post a Comment