Thursday, May 23, 2013

Follow up appointment with the Neurologist

A couple of weeks ago Davida had a follow up with her neurologist, Dr. Goins.  Dr. Goins doesn't think that Davida is currently having seizures (GREAT NEWS!), but did say to keep an eye on her because she is at high risk for seizures.  During our first appointment with Dr. Goins, he asked both Marcus and me if either of our families had a history of any blood disorders.  Neither of us do, but Dr. Goins thought that Davida's right arm and damage to her brain were caused by a vascular issue.  The vascular issue caused Davida to have a stroke prior to delivery which caused the blood clot and so on.  Dr. Goins had the lab run a series of tests on Davida's blood...they took five vials of blood from her little arm!
We didn't get the results during the follow up appointment, but I received a call the following week.  Davida's Beta 2 Glycoprotein came back abnormal, which means that Davida most likely has a blood disorder called Antiphospholipide Antibody Syndrome (APS).  Dr. Goins asked us to get Davida's blood tested again in two months to verify the abnormal test results.  If the test results come back abnormal again, then we will discuss further testing to ensure that APS isn't a secondary issue and any treatment. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa,
    I just saw this post. I'm not sure if you'd heard I have APS. It's great they diagnosed it, so they'll be able to watch her carefully.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete